Thursday, November 15, 2007

Breaking The Four-Hour Barrier

Randonneurs have a reputation for more yammering than hammering. But there are plenty of speedy riders in the pack.

I was reminded of that fact in today's e-letter from roadbikerider.com The subject was fast century rides. Here's the quote:
Looking for a high-speed hundred? The Sunrise Century in Clarksville, Tennessee, specializes in sub-4-hour rides, says RBR reader Jeff Bauer, who should know: "In 2005 I was the stoker on a tandem that established the course record of 3:53."

Wowsers! I know that guy. I rode briefly with Jeff and tandem partner Mary Crawley at BMB last year. At this year's PBP, I was one of several Tarheel riders that lunched with Jeff and Mary at the Carhaix control on the outbound leg to Brest.


Here's a picture that riding buddy Jerry Phelps took of Jeff and Mary at BMB.

Jeff was with another tandem partner when he set the Clarksville record. Exactly what does it take to break the four-hour mark? Quite a bit of coordination among riders and the race planners, according to Jeff's write-up. Check it out here.

My riding buddies who see this post are likely to remind me of an early season goal to do a sub 5-hour century.

Let me point out that Harris Teeter has had French vanilla ice cream on sale: buy one tub, get one tub free.

Pass me a spoon.

FOLLOW UP: Jeff dropped me a note today. He and riding buddy Kevin Kaiser are planning on doing RAAM in 2008 as a two-man team. And what the hey: why not make it interesting by doing it on fixed gear? Read all about it here.


Good luck, guys, and keep us posted.

No comments: