Monday, July 2, 2007

Paul's Ride Report: Siler City Express

Paul from Charlotte was the first official rider of the Siler City Express, and now holds the course record. He caught one correction for the cue sheet -- the Fuel Express is actually named the Kangaroo Express and located next to the Food Lion, where he parked.

Here's his ride report.

It was a hot and muggy ride on the Siler City Express Saturday. The cold front that promised to bring rain and cooler temps must have been delayed but the Express pulled out only 15 minutes behind schedule....

The trip through the Uwharries was uneventful except for some near collisions with dogs. I wish they would reopen the Uwharrie Sportsman at the turn around. A couple of work trucks were parked there so maybe there's hope.

On the return trip I stopped at Jumping Off Rock to have a look. I almost missed it but 0.2 miles past the trailhead someone had painted a big sign with arrows on the road pointing to the pullout. The rock is only a few feet off the road (partway up the toughest climb of the route). Not too spectacular in my opinion and reaching the water to cool off was too steep a scramble for me. It would be better to sit in the water near the road crossing by the trailhead.

The dogs were pretty tame on the return except for that little bug-eyed fellow. Boy can he run!

I was in danger of setting a record I'd have trouble breaking the next time so I stopped in Seagrove for the giant chicken sandwich, french fry and chocolate malt combo (proof of purchase submitted with brevet card).

This did the trick, reducing my speed from a ramble to a mosey.

No comments: