Riders for North Carolina's Taste of Carolina's 1200K hit the course Saturday morning at 4:00 a.m. and are now into their second day of riding.
We were on hand for the start but opted for a 200K option, riding the first 100K with the 1200K group before retracing our steps to Greensboro. The two dozen riders going the full distance struck out at a blistering pace. We had an average of 17.5 through the rolling hills to Salem Fork. I imagine the pace slowed a bit as riders climbed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and into the mountainous terrain of western North Carolina.
The TC 1200 riders will do most of their serious hill work in the first 400K before heading to North Carolina's pancake flat coastal region. However, even as they head to the coast, riders will have some hills to negotiate -- someone mentioned that Flint Hill Road is on the cue sheet. That road has a 16 percent grade in one section, and any roads through the Uwharrie Mountains are certain to test riders' tired legs.
Riders attempting this inaugural ride include: Mary Florian and Nancy Guth, who completed RAAM earlier this year (John Guth is also riding); Tim Lucas and Geof Simmons, who both participated in the Texas Stampede 1200K; Joel Lawrence, who is back on the bike and logging big miles after breaking his hip in July; the Olsens, who can be counted on to show up anytime a 1200K is put on the schedule; and Henk Bouhuyzen of Canada, who also has multiple 1200Ks to his credit. N.C. riders attempting their first 1200K (I think -- corrections welcomed) include John Pertalion, Vance Ricks, Bob Bingham, Bryan Rierson, John Olmstead and Lynn Lashley.
Jerry is working the overnight in Ocean Isle and said he would attempt to post updates. Rider and route information is on Tony Goodnight's site.
Bonne route to all.
- Vance Ricks - Greensboro NC - Greensboro Velo Club
- Bryan Rierson - Garner NC
- Charles Sather - Charlottesville VA - Bicycle for Life
- Rob Welsh - Apple Valley MN - Twin Cities Bicycling Club
- Mark Olsen - Rochester MN - Twin Cities Cycling Club
- David Nixon - Commerce GA - Audax Atlanta
- John Pertalion - Boone NC
- William Olsen - Califon NJ - Western Jersey Wheelmen
- Henk Bouhuyzen - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Curt Brandt - Brandon FL - Gainesville Cycling Club
- Bob Bingham - Graham NC - Alamance-Burlington Bicycle Club
- Tim Lucus - Wilson NC
- Donald Jagel - Germansville PA - Pennsylvania Randonneurs
- Geof Simons - Cary NC
- Joan Donohue - Columbia SC - Carolina Cyclers
- Mary Florian - Lumberton NC
- Gator Cochan - GA - Audax Atlanta
- John Olmstead - Rocky Mount NC
- Micah Fritzinger - Georgetown IN - Louisville Bike Club
- Joel Lawrence - High Point NC
- Lynn Lashley - Raleigh NC
- 1000k - Nancy Guth - Stafford VA
- 1000k - John Guth - Stafford VA