Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Santa Cruz 1000K / Cascade 1200K

Lots of fun / long randonneuring events this week. I've just finished setting up the Coho for the Santa Cruz 1000K.

Here's an overview map:



Here's a snippet from the ride description:

This route is a tour of California's central coast region. There are many miles of fine cycling and wonderful scenery throughout. The course is designed as a point-to-point most of the way, followed by a circuit on the last day that starts and ends in San Luis Obispo (SLO). One could think of it as three stages: San Jose–King City (226mi/365 kms), King City–SLO (211 mi/341 kms), followed by SLO–SLO (184 mi/297 kms).


My current plan (subject to change) is to ride with each of those locations as my daily goal. I'm really looking forward to the scenery on the Pacific Coast Highway and our tour through the redwoods.

If you're interested, you can follow the ride on the Santa Cruz Randonneurs website. We get going at 5:30 a.m. Thursday (8:30 a.m. East Coast time). Bill and Lois will be updating the Rider Progress link when they're able. For the first time, I'll try to post to this blog during the event. Those "RTP Mobile Phonebooth" posts are coming from my iPhone.

Also going on this week is the Cascade 1200K, a fantastic loop tour of Washington State, which starts Saturday morning. Here's the link for that ride.

Here's to the safety and success of all riders on both of those events.

3 comments:

Biker Bob said...

I see from the rider list that Joel is out there with you. Have a great ride!

Vance Ricks said...

I'm envious. What a great route. Have a good time!

George Swain said...

So envious. Have a blast! Wish I were there, too. Sounds a bit more scenic than circling Lake Ontario, but I'm excited for that 1000K adventure in a few weeks. Cheers.