Thursday, January 3, 2008

N.C. Randonneur in the News...


Our good friend Branson is in the news again. Last year News & Observer reporter Joe Miller followed Branson's successful attempt to qualify for and participate in PBP. In the latest article Branson reveals what he has on tap for 2008. A hint: It involves a trip to Vietnam. Read all about it here. Branson is one of several people Joe followed in 2007, so you'll find him featured on pages 2-3 of the story.

Branson was one of my favorite riding companions in 2007. I was with him on his very first 200K, the Lake Loop permanent, and also pre-rode the Morrisville 600K with him for another Big Adventure.

By the way, here's a little food for thought from the Joe Miller article:

"Randonneuring is very selfish," says Kimball. "There's no other way to put it when it comes to family and time constraints. It takes so much time."

I point that out because it's the second time this week I've heard that sentiment. I'm working on a story for American Randonneur where another rider made a similar comment.

But lucky me. I have a loving and understanding wife who puts up with all my crazy rides and nutty schedules. Just one more thing to be grateful for in 2008.

No comments: