Thursday, May 3, 2007

5 Essential Things About PBP


The upcoming issue of American Randonneur has a feature that is sure to interest all randonneurs who are heading to this year’s Paris Brest Paris. A dozen or more anciens and anciennes each supplied their “Five Essential Things About PBP.” The suggestions are as varied as the riders, with some offering tips on eating, some giving valuable equipment advice and others reminding us that we’re guests in the host country of France.

Look for the list soon. The May issue is in the mail.

Meantime, here’s my list:

1. Wear a RUSA PBP jersey. One thing that amazed me during PBP 03 was the number of riders proudly displaying their nation’s colors. I regretted not ordering a jersey through RUSA as a way of identifying myself with the contingent of American riders. I won’t make that mistake again. I’ll order the official RUSA jersey when I submit my PBP application, and I’ll wear it at least one day during the event.

2. Lantiseptic: Don’t Leave Home without It. Being relatively green on PBP 03 -- it was my second year of randonneuring and my first 1200K-- I had yet to learn how to take care of the derriere. I wound up with two sizable saddle sores, making the last 35 miles to the finish intensely painful. I’ve since discovered the magic of Lantiseptic and use it on all rides longer than 200K.

3. “No heroics, no theatrics.” No heroics, no theatrics was my mantra in PBP 03. No heroics meant no insanely long pulls at the front, and no hanging onto a wheel that was outside my comfort zone. No theatrics meant no showboating over hills when I was feeling good. I struck to my game plan for three days, then forgot myself when I hooked up with RUSA member Thomas Gee, a five-time PBP finisher. We were both feeling fantastic and for a couple hours pushed each other along at speeds in excess of 20 mph. We paid the price when we hit the steep hills on the far side of Mortagne au Perche. But it was fun while it lasted.

4. A token of your appreciation. Hundreds of children line the PBP course, offering food, water and encouragement to the riders. When I stopped for a water bottle refill in 2003, I wished I’d had something to hand out as a thank you. RUSA now has a solution: the RUSA pin, available through the RUSA store for about $2. They’re small enough to carry along on the ride and they make neat souvenirs.

5. Small essentials. 1) I carry a small tube of toothpaste and a folding toothbrush on every ride. After eating sugars all day long, there's nothing more satisfying than brushing the old choppers. 2) I save those small newspaper bags that the carrier uses on rainy days. They're perfect for sliding over your socks on rainy days. They don't necessarily keep your feet dry but they at least cut down on some of the wind chill. 3) An 02 Rainwear jacket costs next to nothing (about $30) and weighs even less. It's small, it folds into a tiny sack, and nothing beats it in the rain or cold.


6. Bonus Tip: Celebrate good times! For me, PBP 03 was a four-day celebration of the sport I love. Yes, the event was long and grueling, but I was trained and ready for it. I earned it. You have, too. Relax and enjoy the ride with 4,000 of your closest friends.

No comments: