Sunday, April 1, 2007

Spartanburg 200K / March 17 2007

I'm catching up on posts. This, organized by SC RBA Bethany Davison, http://people.clemson.edu/~sjm/brevets/200K.info.htm, proved to be the toughest 200K I've done to date. A sunny day, but incredibly windy and cold. We had unfavorable head and crosswinds most of the day, with starting temperatures in the 20s. Then add winter legs, lots of hills and the climb up to Caesar's Head.

We formed a big group heading out but Rich had a flat tire going out and that split us up. Along for the ride was Rich, Branson, Ende, Jerry. Given the conditions, not surprising that we had 16 mph ride time average. Four of us finished in 8:29 -- Capn, JD, my SC friend Doug G and me. Caroline was just a few minutes behind. We lost her on a 30 mph run down New Cut Rd.

It was good to get this one out of the way. The first official ride of the brevet season and the toughest of the 3 local routes I'll do. The push to PBP 07 has begun.

I rode down to Spartanburg with Rich and told him of my recent decision to leave my job. So the two of us are in transition. He just moved to Lillington for work. Has a sharp duplex in downtown.

On the ride down we listened to a cheesy, useless french CD by Berlitz. By the end of an hour, we could count to 10 and tell the waiter that we have reservations. And not much else.

No comments: